Buy Sell Rent Real Estate Online

Nerja - Narixa - Costa Tropical - Axarquía - holiday rentals

Nerja Town and its surroundings

Driving eastwards from Malaga along the A7 motorway, after around 57 km you will find the small and quaint town of Nerja. Nerja is located on the Coast Tropical rather than the Costa del Sol. The Costa Tropical is so-called because of tropical fruit and vegetables are grown there. The region was famous for sugar cane production in the area. Sugar Cane is a Tropical crop of course. They also grow Mangoes and Avacado Pears there now and of course Tomatoes, Lettuce and Almond nuts. Follow Wikipedia link below for reference.

The Balcon de Nerja
Nerja - Balcon de Europa Narixa Costa Tropical Malaga

The Balcón de Europa is a stunning viewpoint giving excellent panoramic views across the Mediterranean sea, is in the centre of the old town. Its name is popularly believed to have been coined by the once King of Spain King Alfonso XII, who visited the area in 1885 following a disastrous earthquake and was captivated by the scene. Local folklore says that he stood upon the site where the Balcón now stands, and reportedly declared "This is the balcony of Europe". Local archive documents are said to show that its name predated this visit, but this has not prevented the authorities from placing a life-sized (and much-photographed) statue of the king standing by the railing.

The Balcón area was originally called "La Batería", a reference to the cannon battery which existed there in a fortified tower. This emplacement and a similar tower nearby were destroyed during the Peninsular War. In May 1812, the British vessels Hyacinth, Termagant and Basilisk supported Spanish guerrillas on the coast of Granada, against the French. On 20 May, Termagant or Hyacinth opened fire and the forts were destroyed. Two rusty cannons positioned at the end of the Balcón are reminders of these violent times. The huge lumps of rock, the remains of La Batería, visible in the sea at the end of the Balcón, are further evidence of this action.


The Eagle Aqueduct 

Acueducto delNerja to Maro Aquiduct Axarquia Malaga ProvinceÁguila (Eagle Aqueduct), also known as Puente del Águila (Eagle Bridge), is regarded across the region as "a historic jewel of Spanish architecture". It was built in the 19th century and has been used continuously since - today the local community uses it to irrigate farmland. The aqueduct is situated on the Barranco de la Coladilla de Cazadores, to the south-west of the Caves of Nerja, and is visible from the N340 road linking Nerja town and Maro. There is a layby where you can stop to get a good view and take photographs of the monument.

The aqueduct was built between 1879 and 1880 (the exact date is not known) to aid the industrial revolution; it was intended to carry water from Nerja town to the local sugar refinery in Maro, Las Mercedes (also known as Fábrica San Joaquin de Maro, built in 1884), for irrigation. The aqueduct was commissioned by the factory owner, Francisco Cantarero Senio; his signature is visible in the central pavilion of the aqueduct. The factory is now closed but the aqueduct continues to be used for local irrigation.

The design of the aqueduct is typical of the period of its construction (19th century
) when the Mudejar style (copied from the ornamental architecture originally used by Muslim craftsmen in Spain between the 13th and 15th centuries) was very popular. The aqueduct is four stories high; each tier is constructed from a series of brick, horseshoe-shaped archways, of which there are 37 in total. These are topped with a Mudejar-style spire, on top of which is a weather vane in the shape of a double-headed eagle, from which the aqueduct takes its name. The origin of the eagle symbol is not known for certain, but it is rumoured that during the time of construction eagles were seen nesting in the hills of Maro.

Nerja Tourist Office

Nerja has a tourist office located very close to the Balcon de Europa. To see the exact address and contact details visit the official website

The Historical origin of Nerja Town

Nerja was for a long time a simple Spanish fishing town before its attraction as a tourist destination became apparent. The exact origins of the founding of Nerja as a town are unclear but it seems that there was a “Villa” on-site in the time of Abderramán 3rd who was an Arab Emir and Caliph of Córdoba (912–961) of the Umayyad dynasty in al-Andalus. Called al-Nasir li-Din Allah.

The first written reference that exists that refers to Nerja is by the Arabic poet Ibn Sadí, a tireless traveller of his day who passes through in the year 917. He comments that there was a town as big as a city there which was surrounded by luxuriant landscapes and that it was "admired by all who set foot in it". It reached its peak and achieved worldwide fame during the industrial period due to the manufacturing of coloured silk cloth.

The Moors (Arabs) named it "Naricha" or "Narixa", which means "abundant spring". It was part of the province of "Rayya" at that time and the population live by the protective walls of the castle, whose remains can still be seen today at the place that the road to Frigiliana crosses the neighbouring town's boundary at the quarry.

Historians believe that there must have been some human activity her in the Palaeolithic Period, not only in the caves that are known locally as “Caves of Nerja”. There was also a Roman settlement in Nerja during the occupation of the Roman Empire. Proof being a Roman Villa discovered at Maro, which has been named "Detunda".

Nerja was under Christian rule even before the Duke of Nájera conquered Vélez. However, the Moorish inhabitants were allowed to stay in their properties. In June in the year, 1500 mercy was granted to all the places under its jurisdiction, like castles, fortresses, one of which was located at Nerja.

Sign in
Forgot your password? Remind